Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I would like to know about the properties of linseed oil.....?

I was trying to make marbalized paper. I bought a tube of oil based paint and mixed in some linseed oil to create a loose consistency so that I could flick it off of the brush into my pan of water. Instead of floating on top of the water, the paint mixture sunk to the bottom of the plastic container. I lowered the paper to the bottom of the container to absorb the paint. It has been five days and the paper is very oily still and the paint has not dried yet. Why did the paint sink to the bottom and not float?


Why is the paint still wet, and why is the paper so oily?I would like to know about the properties of linseed oil.....?
Well, I'm not that good an artist, but I usually add linseed oil when I want to be able to modify the paint strokes without damaging the already dry paint underneath. Adding linseed oil extends the drying out time a lot. It gives you a pocket of time when you can wipe off paint that you wish to remove.





I also use linseed when I want to have a watercolor effect using oils as it also thins out the pigment.I would like to know about the properties of linseed oil.....?
Also linseed oil (it's from flax seeds) is a drying oil. It's what sticks the pigment to the surface. Paint thinner is often used to speed up the drying time. I paint in oils sometimes and never use thinner. The linseed oil itself drys eventually. Used outside it continues drying until finally it no longer sticks. Then it peels off the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment